This Sweet Potato Soup is garlicky, creamy and oh so delicious! It is a simple and easy soup to make with only six ingredients, and it's full of goodness. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fibre, and they contain lots of vitamins and minerals that are good for your body. So this soup is a healthy option for lunch time that will warm you up and also tastes great!
What's great about this recipe
- It's easy and quick to make
- It's delicious, garlicky and creamy
- You can easily make it vegan and dairy free
- It's full of nutrients and goodness from the sweet potato
- It makes a delicious and cosy lunch!
What you will need
- White onion - you will need a medium sized white onion for this recipe. I don't recommend using red onion as it will alter the flavour and colour of the soup
- Garlic - fresh garlic is best for this recipe for the best flavour, but a puree or frozen garlic will work well too
- Sweet potato - the star of the show! This yummy orange vegetable is essential for this soup. There is another type of sweet potato that's white inside, but I don't have access to it so I've only made this soup with the orange sweet potato
- Vegetable stock - a great flavour boost. My favourite are Oxo cubes, but you can use your favourite brand
- Double cream - you only need a small amount of double cream (heavy cream) to make this soup perfectly creamy, a little goes a long way! Leftover cream can be frozen or used in another recipe. To make this soup dairy free, replace the double cream with a vegan cream like soy or oat cream. You could also use coconut cream, which will slightly change the flavour but I think coconut goes well with sweet potato
- Salt - helps to enhance the flavours of this recipe, I used fine sea salt
How to make Sweet Potato Soup
Cook the onions and garlic in a pan until soft. Add the water, vegetable stock and sweet potatoes. Bring to the boil and boil for 15-20 minutes.
Once the sweet potatoes are soft, take the mixture off the heat and blend with a stick blender. Stir in the cream, and add salt to taste.
How long does this soup last and can it be frozen?
Once fully cooled, it will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To defrost, put it in the fridge overnight, or on the kitchen counter. Depending on the temperature of your kitchen the time it takes to defrost will vary. Re-heat the soup either in a pan on a low heat, or in the microwave. Microwave in short blasts and stir regularly.
Can this recipe be made vegan?
Yes! The only non-vegan ingredient is the double cream, so you can swap this for a non-dairy cream like soy, coconut or oat cream.
Can this recipe be made in a soup maker?
Most soup makers chop, cook and blend the ingredients. If your soup maker offers all these features, then yes you can make this recipe in a soup maker. You may need to chop up the sweet potato beforehand.
What can you serve with this soup?
- Your favourite bread, spread with butter or margarine
- Crunchy croutons
- Grilled cheese
- Garlic bread
More tips for making Sweet Potato Soup:
- If you like your soup spicy, feel free to add fresh or dried chilli
- You can garnish this soup with a drizzle of cream, some fresh chopped herbs, grated cheese, or croutons. Or keep things simple and have it plain
- To blend the soup, you can either use a stick blender or transfer the soup to a food processor. Make sure your food processor is suitable for hot liquids before doing this
Recommended equipment & ingredients*
*I earn a small amount of money if you buy the products after clicking on the links. You will not be charged anything extra for this. Thank you for supporting Kat's Veg Kitchen!
Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 White onion chopped up
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped up
- 1 kg Sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 Vegetable stock cubes I used Oxo
- 1.5 litres Water
- 1-2 tsp Salt to taste
- 30 ml Double cream or a dairy free cream
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan on a low heat
- Add the onion and garlic, cook for around 5 minutes, until soft
- Add the water, sweet potato and vegetable stock and bring to the boil
- Boil for 15-20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft
- Remove from the heat and use a stick blender to puree the mixture
- Add the double cream and salt, and stir in. You can also add more water at this point if you want a thinner soup
- Serve immediately, or allow to cool fully and store in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Or in the freezer for up to 3 months
If you like sweet potatoes you will love this soup. It is simple to make and delicious. The recipe makes more than enough for four people and is very filling. A big plus is that it freezes too!!